Student & Parent Resources
The University Store strives to provide students and parents with many products and services during their time at Carnegie Mellon University. Below, we've compiled some helpful tips and links to important information. If you have any questions about how the University Store can serve you, please feel free to contact us.
Saving On Textbooks
Textbooks are a necessary, but sometimes expensive purchase. Here are some money-saving tips:
- Pre-Order Textbooks: After registering for classes, students can pre-order textbooks and have their books ready for pick-up at the store at the beginning of the semester! This process is fast, easy, and convenient. You can choose your preference of new or used books. As the official store of Carnegie Mellon, you can rest assured that you're purchasing the correct books.
- Shop Early: Used copies go quick! Make sure to visit the store or pre-order books promptly at the beginning of the semester. We unfortunately cannot control how many used copies the publishers send us, but used copies are always put on shelves upon arrival.
- Use the Price Comparison Tool: Our handy Price Comparison Tool allows you to view book prices across many different retailers. Simply enter your class information and view where your books are available; you can even buy your books directly through this helpful tool. Even if you choose a different retailer than the University Store, using the Price Comparison Tool still benefits the university.
- Return Books Promptly: If you drop a class or decide you no longer need a book, return it as soon as possible. During the Add/Drop period, books can be returned with a valid receipt and in the original condition within 3 business days of the purchase for a full refund. After the Add/Drop period, students must provide proof that they dropped a class to our book buyer; all returns at this point are at the book buyer's discretion.
- Book Buyback: At the end of the semester, a third party book buyer will be on-hand to give students cash for their books. Book buyback times will be indicated in store and online. If a buyback isn't being offered, visit the Textbooks page for information on selling books through MBS Textbook Exchange.
University Store Gift Certificates
We understand that getting your student the supplies they need when they arrive on campus can sometimes be difficult. We offer University Store Gift Certificates at any increment you wish to purchase. Gift certificates can be mailed to you or directly to the recipient via USPS certified mail. There is a $3 mailing charge for all gift certificates. We can process your gift certificate order via telephone during regular business hours, Monday-Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM at 412-268-1032. Please be aware that gift certificates cannot be used in Computer Sales.
Technology Educational Discounts
As an educational retailer, the University Store saves students hundreds of dollars on software, as well as offer educational pricing on computers. We offer educational discounts on Apple, Dell, HP, and Lenovo systems. This special pricing is available only to currently enrolled students. The University Store partners with academic departments to carry the technology recommended by your student's degree program. Please visit Computer Sales to take advantage of these great prices.
As graduation approaches, we know you're thinking about showcasing your hard-earned diploma. We carry a full line of Carnegie Mellon University diploma frames from Church Hill Classics and University Frames. Frames can be purchased in-store or online (an additional $27 handling fee will be applied to all frames).
- Academic Calendar
- My Plaid Student
My Plaid Student is a secure website operated by Carnegie Mellon University. My Plaid Student gives authorized users access to certain information about a student.
- Schedule of Classes